Over the last 18 months we've been working closely with the European Bioinformatics Institute on a project to improve their use of open source search engines, funded by the BBSRC. The project was originally named BioSolr but has since grown to encompass Elasticsearch. ...Continue reading
In this blog post I want to introduce you to a new Apache Solr plugin component called XJoin. I'll show how we can use this to solve a common problem in e-commerce - how to use price discount data, provided by an external web API, to either filter the results of a product search or boost scores. A further post will show another example, using click-through data to influence the score of subsequent searches.
What is XJoin?...Continue reading
It's looking like a busy Autumn for search events - first, I'm presenting at Enterprise Search & Discovery 2014 in Washington DC on November 5th, talking about 'Turning Search Upside Down with open source software'. I'll be describing how we've replaced various underperforming, big name closed source search engines with faster & more scalable open source t...Continue reading
Last Friday we hosted a hackday featuring Elasticsearch in Cambridge, following a similar event last year focused on Apache Lucene/Solr. Around 20 people attended from organisations working in sectors including analytics, digital music, bioinformatics and e-commerce, and all the Flax team were there as well. We started with...Continue reading